- Repayable and non-repayable contributions
- Focused on supporting Canadian innovation
- Ongoing program with continuous intake and annual intake
The Strategic Innovation Fund (SIF)’s objective is to spur Canadian innovation through transformative projects in numerous sectors. The program offers funding to two project categories: Business Innovation and Growth, for projects led by individual companies, and Collaborations and Networks projects, for collaborations between SMEs, large corporations, research institutes, post-secondary institutions, or not-for-profit organizations.
SIF provides a minimum contribution of $10 million, for projects with a budget of at least $20 million. Generally, contributions are repayable, though non-repayable funding may be available for projects with significant benefits to Canadians that align with the strategic priorities. The priorities include clean technologies, critical minerals, biomanufacturing, aerospace, agri-food, and more.
Eligible costs are limited to non-recurring costs that are specifically related to the project, including:
- Direct labour, subcontractors and consultants
- Overhead (program limits apply)
- Direct materials and equipment, land and buildings
- Other direct costs
- Land and buildings
- Subcontracts and consultants
- Expenditures related to network operations and activities for Collaborations and Networks projects
Applicants to the Business Innovation and Growth Stream can either be a for-profit business or cooperative incorporated in Canada, or a partnership proposing to carry out business in Canada.
Lead applicants to the Collaborations and Networks stream can be either a for-profit or not-for-profit organization, incorporated in Canada.
SIF is a program launched in 2017 which offers continuous intake.