- Non-repayable cost-sharing
- Focused on export opportunities
- Permanent program which accepts applications each fiscal year
CanExport SMEs provides financial assistance to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) registered in Canada to help develop export opportunities for their product or service in new international markets. The program is delivered by the Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) of Global Affairs Canada, in partnership with the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP).
Funding is provided on a cost-sharing basis between the recipient and CanExport SME. The program reimburses up to 50 percent of eligible expenses from $10,000 to $50,000.
- Visits to foreign markets
- Market research/intelligence
- Participation in trade missions
- Participation at trade shows, networking functions, meetings, or conferences, either virtually or in-person
- Creation, adaptation and translation of marketing tools
- Expert advice on business, legal and tax matters or digital and e-commerce marketing
- Online advertising related costs
- Intellectual property protection, certification, and adaptation of contracts in international markets
- Search Engine Optimization
*Funding has resumed for travel-dependent activities, although the program will continue supporting non-travel activities to support R&D opportunities in international markets.
- Must be a for-profit incorporated legal entity, limited liability partnership or cooperative
- Must have a Canada Revenue Agency business number
- Must employ no more than 500 full-time equivalent employees
- Must have between $100K and $100M in declared revenue in Canada during the past fiscal year (or past 12 months for quarterly filers)
- Export brokers in the agriculture and agri-food sector may be eligible for the program
CanExport SME accepts applications each fiscal year.