Funding Snapshot

  • Non-repayable grant
  • Focused on supporting commercialization of clean technologies
  • Permanent program with continuous intake and five approval rounds per year

Fund Description

Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) supports the late-stage development and pre-commercial demonstration of clean technology solutions that address climate change and improve the productivity and the global competitiveness of the Canadian industry.

Funding Details

The fund will provide up to 40% of eligible project costs in the form of a non-repayable grant.

Eligible Expenditures

Eligible project costs include:

  • All goods and services and professional and technical personnel costs required to plan and conduct the scientific, technical, environmental, management, administrative and/or reporting activities directly related to the project
  • Capital items that have no residual value beyond the period of funding of the eligible project and are specifically required for the delivery of the project
  • The depreciation expense for the period of funding of capital items that have an enduring commercial value accrued to an individual organization beyond the funding period
  • Utilities and data collection services
  • Travel and conference expenses related to the project
  • Feasibility studies pertaining to the eligible project
  • Translation and communication costs
  • General overhead costs, legal costs and contingency fees are not included

Eligibility Requirements

Applicants are Canadian SMEs that are advancing innovative technologies which have environmental and economic impacts. Eligible projects must:

  • be commercially viable and involve a novel technology
  • deliver quantifiable environmental benefits
  • have a potential customer to validate the technology’s value
  • focus on the development and demonstration of new technologies that address issues of GHG emissions, water consumption, or water, soil or air contamination
  • be undertaken primarily in Canada by a Canadian company, with 50% of total project costs being incurred in Canada. 25% of overall project costs must also be funded through private sector contributions. Funding from all levels of government must not exceed 75% of eligible costs.

Program Run

SDTC was founded in 2001 and offers continuous intake, with five approval rounds per year.