- Refundable tax credit
- Focused on supporting computer animation and special effects
- Accepts applications each taxation year
The OCASE Tax Credit is a refundable tax credit based on eligible Ontario labour expenditures incurred by a qualifying corporation during a taxation year with respect to eligible computer animation and special effects activities.
The OCASE tax credit is calculated as 18% of the eligible Ontario labour expenditures within a qualifying corporation.
Eligible computer animation and special effects activities include designing, modelling, rendering, lighting, painting, animating and compositing (does not include activities that are scientific research and experimental development)
Eligible labour expenditures include:
- Salaries and wages of Ontario residents that are directly attributable to eligible activities carried out by corporation
- Freelancers who are individuals, partnerships, or arm’s-length incorporated individuals, for qualifying expenditures incurred after March 26, 2009
In order to be eligible for OCASE, a Canadian corporation must be:
- Canadian or foreign-owned
- Have a permanent establishment in Ontario
- File an Ontario corporate tax return
- Perform eligible computer animation and special effects activities
Productions must be created for commercial exploitation, but must not be in an excluded genre.
OCASE accepts applications for each taxation year.