Canada’s digital media industry is expanding with increasing volumes of award-winning and high-growth companies, and a video game sub-sector ranked third in the world. Successfully leveraging public support measures is critical in establishing a competitive stance in Canada’s expanding digital media industry. At both a national and provincial level, financial support for the digital media industry is available in the form of direct grants, tax credits and loan guarantees. These programs and tools subsidize the growth and development of a globally competitive industry, with tax credit incentive programs that are emulated internationally.
Below are some project activities that could be eligible for digital media related funding:
- Digital game design and development.
- Concept and product development of software and mobile applications, cross-platform media, interactive web environments, social media and more.
- Improvements in technology
- Television-convergent digital media
- Marketing, promotion and distribution initiatives
- Export activities and trade show attendance
- Pursuing private investment