The final 2015-2016 intake for the Canada Media Fund’s Experimental Stream (Production) will be closing on September 22, 2015, while the Development and Marketing & Promotion segments will be closing on October 6, 2015.
The Experimental Stream of the Canada Media Fund (CMF) is designed to support Canadian interactive digital media content, including application software, which demonstrates innovation in the field. Eligible projects may qualify under one of the three aforementioned segments, and the awarding of funding is processed through a jury of renowned digital pioneers and experts.
The Experimental Stream is funded through an investment of $27.0 million for English projects and $13.0 million for French projects in the 2015-2015 fiscal year. This new round of funding comes with a few significant changes to the program, such as:
- An increased maximum overall cap contribution from CMF, up to $1.2 million from $1.0 million;
- A decreased maximum contribution from CMF for Development projects, down to $400 thousand from $300 thousand;
- An increased maximum contribution for Production projects, up to $1.2 million from $1.0 million;
- An increased focus on previous success working with the CMF on eligible projects;
- An increased focus on meaningful participatory experience as part of the definition of “interactivity”; and
- A varied Development recoupment policy shifting all applications to a uniform model which allows for CMF advances to be converted into recoupable investments in the production.
Stay tuned for further updates on the Canada Media Fund.